“Don’t you wish you could take a single childhood memory and blow it up into a bubble and live inside it forever?” – Sarah Addison Allen, Lost Lake My answer to that is ‘no.‘ Although, Halloween night as a kid surrounded by a pumpkin shaped bucket of Twizzlers, mini Snickers and Starburst is tempting to revisit. When we visited Northern California last month (first time with the baby), my childhood memories come flooding back wondering what her childhood will be like.
From Wiffleball in the backyard to my favorite dinner ever, Peach Dumplings, at my grandparents and playing dress up in vintage clothes passed down through the family. Luckily, with throwback styles back in action, I did a bit of searching around the house for any semi-retro finds I could find. Here’s 5 Secrets to Creating Your Own ‘Throwback Look’ by Shopping Your Wardrobe from the beautiful countryside in Mendocino County…
1. Shop Your Closet. Here’s What to Look for this Season –
Leather, suede or fringe dresses you saved. Booties you thought were out a few years ago. Mini-skirts, distressed denim, mini shift dresses and cable knit sweaters. Now is the time to scare off the dust bunnies and slip into them for fall and I love this InStyle article showing Then and Now 70’s Chic
2. Go with 70’s Shades – Find a pair of funky costume sunglasses to give your look a retro feel without breaking the bank. Then I added some hair extensions for a lose side-braid, bold lipstick, and snapped a pic during the golden hour (makes skin look photoshopped. Yes!!) to complete my look.
3. Find a Pre-Worn Leather Jacket – You want it to have that cool retro vibe. Shop your parents closet, a 2nd hand store or vintage shop for a leather jacket instead of splurging for a new one or settling for a fast-fashion fix. I found this one by United Colors of Benetton nearly 10 years ago in SF and held onto it.
4. Who Cares if Flares are ‘In,’ Wear Jeans you Like – I’m so glad the 70’s boho look from spring and summer still has longevity in the fall. I’m loving the suede and denim throwbacks, but I know a lot of people hate flares. Just wear the style you prefer and mix them with boho designs.
5. Retro Footwear! (You Probably Already Have It) – I just read ‘chunky platform heels‘ are back. Ugh! I always feel like a disco clown ready topple over when I wear those. But I did save these clunky leather Steve Madden heels in my parent’s garage (which felt 70’s enough for me) I bought in 2008! Doesn’t that seem like yesterday?
Back to blogging mode! All NEW posts coming this week and I hope you’re having a good October. Is your Halloween costume ready yet?
Previous Post:« Techs & the City – ‘Urban Mom Edition’
Next Post:Savvy Sleepers Score a Spot in Popsugar’s Must-Have Box »