Happy New Year! Resolutions still going strong? As a new-ish parent, a 2017 goal of mine is at least ‘1 date night‘ per month. Parents put date nights on the back-burner all too often, which is why I was SO excited to kick off the trend early with the Andrea Bocelli concert in Dallas last month just before he made headlines for backing away from performing at Trump’s upcoming inauguration. Anyway, back to the date.
Sorry for the credit card cliché, but the night could be summed up like a classic Mastercard commercial. Steak dinner and Amaretto Sours for two – $113, nose-bleed seats at the Bocelli concert – $79 each, hearing multiple whispers in the crowd referencing the ‘Catalina Wine Mixer‘ when Andrea sang ‘Time to Say Goodbye‘ – Priceless. Coming home to Wilhelmina sleeping like an angel – Extra Priceless. As for date night style, the temps have drastically dropped in Dallas the past month – it even snowed last Friday! I’ve found a few trends this winter that are fun and seriously budget-friendly. They won’t break the bank, or make you break out, as I’ll show you in today’s post from the Dallas Design District…
1. Try a Choker…. A few months ago, I felt way too old to wear a choker, but literally everyone from Kris Kardashian to bloggers and teens worldwide are wearing them. So why not wear one before the trend is out of style? I loved this wrap around velvet choker I found at fast-fashion headquarters (aka Forever21).
2. Add a Purse Accessory – These little faux fur handbag accessories are everywhere from Nordstrom Rack to Ross for under $20. They make any basic handbag fun and festive this winter.
3. Speaking of Velvet – It’s one trend I ran into at Walmart last month loading up on Christmas ornaments. This simple rose colored velvet tank with lace detail is perfect for layering under and staying on trend for under $6. Score!
4. Vintage Coats! It’s only ‘freezing’ on a few occasions each year in Dallas so don’t stock up on a HUGE winter wardrobe. If you’re ever shopping in Dallas, I highly recommend stopping into Clotheshorse Anonymous. It’s my new favorite consignment shop for vintage and designer dresses, jackets, and I even found my New Year’s Eve dress a few hours before the party.
5. Use this for a Youthful Glow in 2017… Although it was tough to see on this dreary day in Dallas, my new favorite highlighter for winter is Rimmel London’s ‘Good to Glow’ creme highlighter in the ‘Nottinghill‘ shade. Keep one in every purse (they’re under $5!) and use on your cheekbones, brow bone and cupid’s bow for an illuminating glow – just like the celebs had on the red carpet at last night’s Golden Globes.
<DETAILS by Dale> pencil skirt (old) – Banana Republic / top – Walmart (here in more colors) / booties – Dolce & Gabbana / handbag – Ferragamo / jacket (Vintage) – last seen here in Switzerland / purse accessory – ROSS / choker – Forever 21 / creme highlighter – Rimmel London
I hope your 2017 has kicked off to a great start and if you ever get the chance to see Andrea Bocelli in concert, I highly recommend it. Any resolutions you’ve made this year…