We spent the past 2 weeks in California and jam-packed our schedule with weddings, Wilhelmina’s baptism, family time, a fashion show, plus back and forth trips from Ukiah to San Francisco. Needless to say, our first trip to America with a new baby added a few kinks to our typically carefree California getaways. Last weekend, on our way to a friend’s wedding in the city (#McGuired), I let my husband know we needed to make an emergency retail stop. I had a major fashion dilemma.
I realized the night before the wedding, the dress I brought didn’t fit. After two weeks of stuffing my face with all my California favorites including In-N-Out within an hour of landing, tons of Mexican food, deli sandwiches, and donut holes; the zipper of my dress wouldn’t budge past my lower back. Thankfully, I found a dress with enough time to spare so I could feed the baby before the ‘I Do’s.’ Perhaps my 2 week chips and guac binge was a distraction to escape the added stress of traveling with a baby (tips on that later). However, I do have 5 Tips this fall from hiding a few extra pounds to escaping from added stress (whether it’s a baby, work, or both) on a day trip we took to the Mendocino coast last week…
The Scene – A beautiful day in Fort Bragg, California on the Mendocino Coast
1. Buy Magic Black Jeans – I love these Citizen of Humanity jeans! They were my favorite before I was expecting, fit until I was nearly 6 months pregnant, and I squeezed into them 3 weeks after delivery. They are stretchy, but never feel stretched out or too tight. Best of all, they seem to magically fit perfect at any size.
2. Escape to Hollyweird – Sometimes when I’m feeding her (which can feel like every 20 minutes during her growing spurts), it’s nice to read something mindless to pass the time. Tabloids do the trick. And speaking of reading…
3. Baby Calming Trick – When she was a few weeks old, my mom said, ‘You know you can start reading to her.’ I had no idea I could read to her so early, and realized quickly it calms her down at night. (Sidenote) I usually stick to Dr. Seuss, but only had my InTouch at the beach, although she seemed to love the vibrant shapes and bold trout pouts in the ‘Plastic Surgery Nightmare‘ article.
4. Give Grey Layers a Chance – I just read a style report how ‘wearing shades of grey‘ is ‘in‘ this fall – especially owning a pair of grey jeans. It was a warm, but crisp day at the coast, so I layered this long cardigan over the light-weight knit Old Navy sweater in ‘Heather Putty.’
5. Long Cardigans are a Style ‘Do’ for Fall – This Free People cardigan sweater was so comfy and feels like a blanket, but my arms are free. It’s also one of those fall fashion pieces that can hide a bit of extra weight during the holidays.
<DETAILS by Dale> jeans – Citizen of Humanity Avedon jeans Ultra-Skinny in Axel / cardigan (recent at Nordstrom Rack) – Free People (similar here) / light sweater – Old Navy (on sale now) / sunglasses – Chloé / Nails – New OPI The Venice Collection ‘Venice the Party?’
Hope you’re having a great week!