5 Secrets to Instant Longer, Thinner Looking Legs!

Savvy Spice Leg Secrets How to Make Legs look thinner

How do you know if your legs are considered long or short for your body? While there’s obviously no right or wrong answer, I decided to do a little scientific research because sometimes I look in the mirror and think, my legs look long and other times I feel stumpy. But there really is an equation that ‘an average leg has an inseam that represents 45% of the height.’

Here’s the equation to get your percentage – Your inseam (cm) x 100 / Your height (cm) = % (Just in case -Here’s how to Measure Your Inseam)

At 5’7″ I did the math and it came out to 44.7% (just below average), which is why I have some tricks to instantly make my legs look longer, thinner and more toned. Here’s my top 5 Summer 2014 Secrets after a couple days in the sun last weekend which brings me to #1 – Prepping with a Faux Tan…

Savvy Spice fashion blog Dale Janee Thigh Gap

1. The Basics for Summer 2014 Legs! ~ Prime legs to instantly look slimmer with an amazing self-tanner! I’ll share my faves below and to cover any marks, veins, scars or for added coverage – I’ve loved Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs for years. Beyond a couple weekly classes involving lunges and squats, the best way I’ve found to tone my legs is walking! I hate running, but a few miles here and there walking fast 3 days a week can really make a difference. And ignore ‘thigh gap,’ talk. I’ve never had it and I’m not about to give up Sour Patch Kids and croissants to try.

Secrets to Longer Thinner Legs Savvy Spice

2. Ankle Straps Can Be Leg Killers ~ We all know nude heels can elongate your legs. For summer, choose wedges and strappy sandals in a nude shade that closely matches your skin tone. If it’s a non-nude heel, just remember the thicker the ankle strap – the more it cuts down on the length of your legs.

How to Know the Best Length of Shorts Savvy Spice fashion blog

3. How to Find Your Perfect Length ~ There is a reason Jessica Simpson has been wearing super short shorts since losing weight before her wedding. She is very petite and about 5 ft tall, so she can make her legs look longer with shorter shorts. Generally, we all have slightly different lengths that look most flattering depending on our proportions. Above, I have the top arrow as my ‘shorts‘ length, the middle is my ‘dress‘ length and the lowest arrow (just below my knee) for pencil skirts or cocktail dresses. I’ve noticed the least flattering length for shorts, skirts or dresses are ones that fall just an inch above your knee. Aim for a little shorter or longer depending on your preference.

How to Fake Longer Thinner Legs Savvy Spice

4. Pose Thinner ~ Oh no! It’s summer vacation and time for a group shot. I’ve noticed a little trick bloggers and celebs use when posing their legs. Pop one heel up slightly which instantly makes it look a little longer and thinner as the rest of your weight falls on your other hip. It also creates a little gap between your legs because one is in front of the other.

Savvy Spice fashion blog tricks to flawless legs

5. Shin Shimmery Celeb Trick ~ From Blake Lively to J-Lo on the red carpet, I’ve noticed this trick. Add a bit of highlight or shimmer lotion on your shin and upper leg which instantly makes legs look more toned, especially when the sun hits them.

Hope these tips help and please share if you have your own secrets for enhancing your height?

Screen Shot 2014 02 26 at 12.19.14 PM 22 e1399646247269

<DETAILS by DALE> Shorts (old) Forever21 / Cynthia Rowley top / Mango heels & bag / Prada sunglasses / Faux Tan (Fake Bake) / Dove shimmer lotion (from Germany) here on Amazon / My Summer ’14 Favorites Below. I love Fake Bake – but St. Tropez is great too. The tanning mits make all the difference!

350

Comments

1. The heel pop! Love it. That’s a new one for me. Thanks for sharing, I’m totally trying that next time I take a full body photo :)

2. Beautiful pictures and hot legs!

3. These are some really great tips Dale, I use the idea of nude shoes or I will have colored leotard that matches a pair of heels :) You look really nice :)

4. Lesllie from Around The Table says:

Great post Dale! We all want longer, slimmer legs;) and the fake and bake plus shimmer works wonders. St Tropez is a miracle worker!

5. sonia de macedo says:

What awesome tips. I kind of want to do that equation but I’m scared I’m going to get below average for mine. Even though when buying pants those marked with the ‘S’ beside the waist measurement for short length fit me perfectly bahahaha! I’ve been using that shimmer tip after watching a video on Net-A-Porter ages ago and it definitely works a treat. The short length thing I never noticed before. I do stay away from midi-length stuff because I know it’s going to cut my leg length in half drastically so I guess it does make sense.

SDMxx

6. sonia de macedo says:

SDMxx

7. You have such great legs, Dale! And totally agree about the thick ankle straps…eeeeek!

8. Lovely tips! I surely gonna try them

9. mfashionfreak says:

Great, great post! Have a lovely day!

mfashionfreak♥blog

ohh and I would love to follow you if you’d do the same for me ;)

10. I really could use these tips. I am so short and I hate it.

11. Lindsay says:

These are fantastic tips! I should definitely use shimmer on my legs to make them look thinner and longer. I’ve missed your blog! Hopefully I can read it more frequently now that the twins are on more of a routine. :)

12. I didn’t know half of this Dale! Excellent tips :D I definitely have long legs being 6ft, so the thinner part is what I’ll be working on! Thanks!!!

13. 5th & Magnolia says:

Seriously awesome tips! Definitely going to give these a try this weekend;)

xo – margaret

14. Great tips! Wish I had your figure though! I don’t know why everyone hates on ankle straps haha

15. Awesome tips! I have a longer torso, so these tips are just what I needed!

Cate

16. Awesome tips! I have a longer torso, so these tips are just what I needed!

Cate

17. Heather Lindstrom says:

Love the tips Dale! I’ll be using some of these on my trip to Portugal and Spain (leaving tomorrow!). I especially love a little leg shine and the newly discovered ‘ankle’ pop. Fun post!
    xx, Heather

18. Heather Lindstrom says:

xx, Heather

19. Diva In Me says:

Thank you for sharing these lovely tips. I should give Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs a try. I’m starting to use shimmer lotions for pictures now. LOL! I really don’t know if it works or it did not but it sure makes me think it would enhance areas that needed to be enhanced. My personal trick would be, wearing any heels above 4 inches would do the trick =)