How do you know if your legs are considered long or short for your body? While there’s obviously no right or wrong answer, I decided to do a little scientific research because sometimes I look in the mirror and think, my legs look long and other times I feel stumpy. But there really is an equation that ‘an average leg has an inseam that represents 45% of the height.’
Here’s the equation to get your percentage – Your inseam (cm) x 100 / Your height (cm) = % (Just in case -Here’s how to Measure Your Inseam)
At 5’7″ I did the math and it came out to 44.7% (just below average), which is why I have some tricks to instantly make my legs look longer, thinner and more toned. Here’s my top 5 Summer 2014 Secrets after a couple days in the sun last weekend which brings me to #1 – Prepping with a Faux Tan…
1. The Basics for Summer 2014 Legs! ~ Prime legs to instantly look slimmer with an amazing self-tanner! I’ll share my faves below and to cover any marks, veins, scars or for added coverage – I’ve loved Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs for years. Beyond a couple weekly classes involving lunges and squats, the best way I’ve found to tone my legs is walking! I hate running, but a few miles here and there walking fast 3 days a week can really make a difference. And ignore ‘thigh gap,’ talk. I’ve never had it and I’m not about to give up Sour Patch Kids and croissants to try.
2. Ankle Straps Can Be Leg Killers ~ We all know nude heels can elongate your legs. For summer, choose wedges and strappy sandals in a nude shade that closely matches your skin tone. If it’s a non-nude heel, just remember the thicker the ankle strap – the more it cuts down on the length of your legs.
3. How to Find Your Perfect Length ~ There is a reason Jessica Simpson has been wearing super short shorts since losing weight before her wedding. She is very petite and about 5 ft tall, so she can make her legs look longer with shorter shorts. Generally, we all have slightly different lengths that look most flattering depending on our proportions. Above, I have the top arrow as my ‘shorts‘ length, the middle is my ‘dress‘ length and the lowest arrow (just below my knee) for pencil skirts or cocktail dresses. I’ve noticed the least flattering length for shorts, skirts or dresses are ones that fall just an inch above your knee. Aim for a little shorter or longer depending on your preference.
4. Pose Thinner ~ Oh no! It’s summer vacation and time for a group shot. I’ve noticed a little trick bloggers and celebs use when posing their legs. Pop one heel up slightly which instantly makes it look a little longer and thinner as the rest of your weight falls on your other hip. It also creates a little gap between your legs because one is in front of the other.
5. Shin Shimmery Celeb Trick ~ From Blake Lively to J-Lo on the red carpet, I’ve noticed this trick. Add a bit of highlight or shimmer lotion on your shin and upper leg which instantly makes legs look more toned, especially when the sun hits them.
Hope these tips help and please share if you have your own secrets for enhancing your height?
<DETAILS by DALE> Shorts (old) Forever21 / Cynthia Rowley top / Mango heels & bag / Prada sunglasses / Faux Tan (Fake Bake) / Dove shimmer lotion (from Germany) here on Amazon / My Summer ’14 Favorites Below. I love Fake Bake – but St. Tropez is great too. The tanning mits make all the difference!