Nautical New Year in Istanbul

Cover photo Istanbul Savvy Spice fashion blog what to wear in Istanbul

Yay! It’s 2014. If you’ve read up on all the inspirational posts going viral motivating you to take on the world; maybe your retinas are in need of some R&R already. Hey, it’s Friday-take a breather and don’t forget to add ‘travel’ to the 2014 list if it’s been on the back-burner. It’s never to early to start planning a getaway.

We spent a couple days in Istanbul this week celebrating NYE. Turkey is a 3.5 hr flight from Zurich, Switzerland and if there’s one thing I can relate to when it comes to travel; it’s that scene in ‘The Little Mermaid’ when Ariel belts out ‘A Whole New World.’ Every country in Europe is like a whole new world, especially if you’re from the US like me. Here’s a quick tour of a chilly New Year’s Day in Istanbul, Turkey in case you want to add it to your itinerary…

photo 36

Pre-Travel Ritual ~ I always try to do my nails before a trip. I no longer have the SF luxury of a $30 mani/pedi so I do them myself. Right before we left, I spotted InStyle magazine posted my travel pic in Germany in this month’s January issue and was definitely smiling. If you’re traveling this year, take your InStyle and submit a pic to the glossy!

DSC03474

Welcome to Istanbul ~ The day after NYE together, we went to meet up with one my BFF’s, Hermione, and her BF for brunch. I had no idea that just a few hours after this pic was taken, he took her on a romantic boat ride on the Bosphorus strait connecting Europe and Asia and proposed! She said ‘Yes.’ Congrats Hermione!

Istanbul fresh fruits Savvy Spice travel

Istanbul is Fresh ~ I’m usually a chicken about trying new foods, but I loved the food in Istanbul. The bread, olives, fresh fruit, cute little sweets, Turkish coffee, Mezze, Kebabs and more. Of course, at this point at brunch on New Year’s Day I was looking for a mimosa.

Istanbul Bosphorus Jelly Fish nautical Savvy Spice

Gulp! ~ Do you see what I see in the water?

Huge jelly fish Istabul Bosphorus currents

I’d never seen so many jellyfish before!

Cat and dog in Istanbul Savvy Spice fashion blog

Catfight ~ We saw a lot of stray dogs and cats that are fed by the locals and have their shots, but they’re definitely a little wild. This cat went crazy hissing at the neighborhood dogs.

puffy coat by Zara Savvy Spice fashion blog in Istanbul

<DETAILS by Dale> ‘Love’ Bracelet ℅ Cruciani/top – MANGO (size XS to wear as a top)/nail polish – Eurso Euro by OPI/waxed denim – H&M/Sunglasses ℅ Shady Sl*ts in classic black/jacket-Zara

DSC034322

I’m looking forward to spending a whole new year with you and if you’re still looking for a few more inspirational posts, check out this article by SheKnows ‘How to Achieve All Your Travel Goals in 2014.’

Have you already made your 2014 resolutions?

~xoDale

Follow on TwitterFacebookInstagram

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
18 comments on “Nautical New Year in Istanbul
  1. Suzanne says:

Dale, it’s been fun traveling the world a bit through your blog. I’m DYING to go to Istanbul. Really fun to see the pics!

2. Leslie says:

Wonderful virtual tour Dale! I love all the herbs at the bar and sounds like you had a wonderful New Year Day. Those jellyfish are grouse … xxL

3. Lauren says:

Love this post! That navy puffer jacket is fab!

Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

4. Congrats on being featured in InStyle! That’s so awesome! The jellyfish in the water look so cool. I wish I could travel abroad! Love your photos! Happy New Year :)

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

5. Launna says:

That is awesome that you were featured in InStyle… I certainly would not want to fall into that water with all the jelly fish… WOW…

Traveling is one of my goals that I am going to work on this year!

6. Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. says:

Congrats on getting your pic in InStyle! That’s so cool!!!

7. i love your jacket and tee Dale. so cute! WOW! that’s a lot of jelly fish! LOL that cat is going crazy. the dog is like, take it down a thousand. HAHAHA

8. Your trip looked amazing! Those jelly fish look really scary too;-)

9. Congrats doll, that is really cool!! I see jellyfish like that sometimes in the rivers here in Scotland, it is really bizarre at times. I hope you have a great week :) xx

10. Mary Jo says:

Dale, that looks like such a fun trip! The food sounds pretty good too! Love that your friend was proposed to right after brunch, that’s a good New Year’s Day! Congrats on your Instyle photo! Wishing you a very happy 2014!

xo Mary Jo

11. you look fabulous you little globetrotter… ive always wanted to go to instabul. one day i’ll make it there.

12. Love Istanbul! Looks like an amazing trip!
    xx,
    The Marcy Stop

13. Serena says:

beautiful pictures i love your outfit :)

14. Lovely pictures and congrats on the InStyle feature !

Feisty Fox Diaries

15. Sean Alvarado says:

I love those wayfarer sunglasses!

16. Yikes! Scary jellyfish! My sister went to Istanbul a few months ago and absolutely loved it. I was totally jealous. :)