Travel days are stressful enough, but during the holidays traffic and luggage drama can spell a major disaster when you just want to be home. Packing light isn’t always an option, but there are some packing tricks I’ve discovered whether you’re staying with family or in a hotel the next few days.
During the last minute shopping mayhem in San Francisco last weekend, my mom, aunt and I spent a girl’s night in one of my favorite hotels (and where my sister threw my bachelorette party last summer) – Hotel Diva. Here’s my top 5 tips to pack like a diva without acting like one this holiday season…
1. Drama & Frizz Reduction ~ Packing a hairdryer, straightener and curling iron can take up a ton of space in your carryon. Check ahead where you’re staying, because they may have you covered. Hotel Diva is the first hotel I’ve ever seen that has hair straighteners at the front desk by request.
2. Skip the Taxi Line ~ There’s nothing worse than being lost in a new city for the holidays trying to hail a cab. Download apps that order you a cab or driver. Try Lyft, TaxiMagic, or the UBER app (just be careful of their new ‘Price Surges’ during peak hours) especially on New Year’s Eve.
3. Clutch Dimensions Matter ~ Traveling with a tiny clutch or a huge handbag on a night out is annoying. This one is 10″ x 14″ which I’ve found is the best size to hold my wallet, phone, brush, powder and lipgloss.
4. What are Travel Heels? ~ Take a pair of black heels that you can walk in for hours or at least through Christmas dinner. The ones that go with jeans, dresses or skirts and are worn-in enough that you can handle living without in case your luggage goes missing.
5. How to Travel with MakeUp - Have you ever paid attention the how much makeup you wear daily? I used to take all of it when I traveled, but this year I’ve narrowed it down to my daily essentials that fit it my 1 makeup bag. I keep the liquids and Insta-Dri nail polish in a zip-lock in case of spills. Two daytime foundations we’ve been loving lately for travel is Cargo and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Foundation.
Will you be traveling at all for the holidays? If you have any holiday packing tips, please share.