After seeing the mashup videos of bad behavior on Black Friday with crazed shoppers being compared to zombies, holiday shopping felt a bit dirty. At least we can all breath a sigh of relief now that it’s Cyber Monday although I’m sure ‘Out of Stock’ alerts online today will cause some mini breakdowns across cubicles nationwide.
Holiday shopping days are seriously dwindling, but I think it’s time for a fresh start. After shopping near Zurich yesterday; I had some Cyber Monday clarity sightseeing through the snowy backroads. This all-white ensemble is a bit impractical in Europe, but reminded me that our California vacation is just around the corner. Here’s my top 5 ‘Fresh Start’ holiday shopping secrets that have nothing to do with Walmart stampedes, online discounts or mall meltdowns…
1. Simplify ~ Are you buying too much or did you already buy presents for people earlier this year and they’re hidden away in a cupboard? Make a list of who you have left to shop for this year.
2. Don’t Trash the Giftwrap ~ If there are designer gifts being opened, ask if you can keep the gift wrap. I saved this Chanel ribbon from last Christmas and tied it around my ponytail over the weekend. I saw so many sleek ponytails on the runway at Zurich Fashion Days, why not dress it up a bit with designer ribbon.
2. How to Find a Designer Gem for Her ~ ‘Budget friendly’ and ‘designer’ don’t go hand-in-hand, but you can get creative. I checked Piperlime (30% off today) and found trendy D&G Blue Mirrored Aviators & a Fire Engine Red Rebecca Minkoff Wallet for under $150 each.
4. Timing is Everything ~ Take full advantage of the less crowded ‘late night store hours’ in the US. Some of my favorite xmas shopping moments have been looking for gifts until 10 pm at Macy’s in Union Square with friends, then sneaking up to the Cheesecake Factory for a late night dinner.
5. Are you a Last Minute Gift Giving Diva? ~ Every year my family is still shopping on Christmas Eve and having private wrapping parties behind locked doors frantically stuffing presents in gift bags. Shop early and have a gift wrapping night with hot cocoa, popcorn and your favorite Holiday movies.
Did you brave Black Friday or Cyber Monday this year?