After living in Europe over six months and traveling to a few countries (Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland), I’ve noticed some major differences. More importantly, this includes some European fashion and lifestyle tips that I think American men should steal. There are some generalizations, but here’s my top 10 (tongue and cheek) lifestyle & dating secrets of European men…
1. Get a Cool Coffee Machine ~ You know when George Clooney is the star of your commercials, it’s going to appeal to women. Nespresso is a Swiss brand of coffee makers and Clooney is in all their Euro ads. Here’s why it’s better than Starbucks: Less expensive per day, stylish, super easy to use, and perfect for entertaining. Plus, how much more romantic is it to give her a little Parisian escape right in your own city? Bring her a cappuccino with a shot glass of water and chocolate on the side to make it Euro style. We have this Nespresso (on sale at Macy’s now) and love it.
2. The Hair, Don’t Forget the Hair ~ You know those women who spend an extra 15 minutes in the bathroom using gel, hairspray styling each hair just-so. European men are kinda like that. They definitely put time and effort into styling their hair when they go out and women notice.
3. Downsize Your Style ~ Swimming in that extra large T-shirt or still wearing faded stretched out Silvertabs from college? Ditch them for slim, tailored clothing that will make you look stylish and fit. Not that I’m a fan of skin tight v-necks here in Europe; but there is a happy medium. (Style Tip) The photo above is Bonobos, from their 2013 gift guide. If you’re holiday shopping for him, I love John Varvatos for men, Nordstrom because of their amazing return policy, Replay Italian jeans or Onassis New York which is one of my new faves.
4. Get in Touch with Your Emoticons ~ There is something that Europeans and American teens already know and that is emojis are fun, harmless and cute. Yes, the little smiley, winky, kissy, silly faces you can add in texts. European guys use Emojis and you can too. I think more women like it than you’d expect especially in the new flirty stage of a relationship. If you want to test the water, send her an innocent flirty text followed by a ‘smily’ or ‘giggly’ face. If she texts back using one Emoji or more you’re good to go.
5. Make Your Bed in Seconds ~ There is a major time-saver Europeans have in the bedroom. They don’t use a top sheet. That’s right, it’s just a couple pillows (hopefully with Savvy Sleepers), the fitted sheet, and a duvet covered comforter. It saves so much time that I actually make the bed every day now. Forget ‘accent’ pillows and tucking every sheet corner. Lay the cover over the bed like this and you’re done. For single guys trying to keep their pad looking neat, modern and mature; this is a must have home décor trick.
6. Channel Your Inner David Beckham ~ No, you don’t need to be a soccer star or cover your upper body in tats. Just ditch boxer shorts and tighty whities forever. Boxer briefs, specifically trunks are flattering, attractive and technically you can show just a sliver of the waistband above your jeans to be stylish.
7. Beverage for the Lady ~ Try to have a bottle of French wine or champagne on hand. You never know when there will be a reason to celebrate, like your first kiss at sunset. Whether you can pronounce the region in France it came from or not, she’ll think you’re fancy.
8. Show Her How Worldly You Are ~ Okay, it’s not fair in the US. You can fly 90 minutes from SF and be in Vegas. In Europe, you can fly over five different countries in that amount of time. Don’t worry if you’re not a world traveler, yet. Frame a cool, edgy map in your house or put a globe on a bookshelf. Subtly mark all the destinations where you want to travel. Tell her each spot marks all the places you want to see with her one day, then pull her close and give her a sweet little kiss.
9. Skip the Speedo, But Show Some Thigh ~ Perhaps the most confidence boosting shorts on the face of the earth for men are Chubbies. If you haven’t seen Chubbies Shorts, the SF brand of short shorts for him are everywhere now. I featured them last year on myself here.
10. Walk in His Shoes ~ Shoes are a big deal in Europe for guys. Sneakers are for the gym and flip flops are for the beach. Work, going out or walking around on the weekends is entirely more dressed up than American footwear. Maybe a more detailed post on men’s footwear at a later date.
What do you think about the differences? Do you agree or have any other to add? Thanks for reading!
Have a great weekend! Some of the items I talked about for him are below. Subscribe to Savvy Spice