Roses are red, violets are blue; but the bottom line is that ’emerald’ is Pantone‘s color pick of the year. Pantone describes the color as ‘Lively. Radiant. Lush. A color of elegance and beauty that enhances our sense of well-being, balance and harmony.’ Sounds like the perfect ambiance for a Valentine’s date?
Before I flew from Cali to Zurich last week and surprisingly got engaged, I styled my sister, Jody, for this post in two shades of green outfits perfect for a spontaneous Valentine’s date or a pre-celebration wine tasting in California. The weekend is here and green means go; so let’s get started with 5 tips to wearing emerald…
1. Don’t Turn Blue over Finding the Right Shade of Green~ Rather than splurging on a whole new wardrobe, just wear pieces you already own. For example, these cropped pants my sister bought last season. They may be a closer hue to a freshly cut lawn, but it works.
2. What Matches Green ~ When in doubt during the winter, turn to basic black. Black heels, handbags and blazers keep the look professional and chic for a February date.
3. What Goes Best with Green, Silver or Gold? ~ While I usually turn to gold statement pieces with green, don’t shy away from silver. Try to keep the hardware (aka necklace, watch, rings) consistent in silver.
Barra Winery in Redwood Valley, CA~ From coffee & casual Friday night dates, I’ve covered courtship. And spontaneous dates are always fun. Tomorrow (Feb. 9th), just 2 hours north of SF on the 101, and west of Napa’s pricy tasting fees; there is a romantic wine, spirits and chocolate event called A Taste of Redwood Valley.
4. Outfit #2 – Give Green Leather a Chance ~ This faux leather skirt by H&M is another way to rock the color and more versatile than a jacket or pants.
(Fashion Blogger Sidenote) ~ The next LuckyFABB conference will be in LA this April. While I’m still waiting to hear the dates, follow them on twitter here. If you’re a fashion blogger, I highly recommend going. Here’s a look my review of the last LuckyFABB conference in NYC last Sept with Rachel Zoe & LC.
5. Diamonds are Forever, But Emerald is for 2013 ~ My last tip to wear emerald is to stock up on costume jewelry. Affordable earrings, bracelets, rings, statement necklaces are a perfect affordable way to dip into the trendy color.
<DETAILS by Dale> skirt ~ H&M, heels ~ Zara, Blazer ~ Express, necklace ~(old TJMAXX), Watch ~c/o Caravelle by Bullova (from the last LuckyFABB conference), ring ~ Forever21, Special thanks to my sister Jody
Are you wearing emerald this year already? If so, did you buy it new or just wearing pieces you already had?
Have a great weekend. Find me on Instagram @Savvy_Spice