You may be looking at this photo wondering why I’m hanging out on a hotel balcony in LA dressed like Hillary Clinton. The truth is when the red carpet, celebs and reporters are stripped from the Beverly Hilton, what do you have? A retro-glam hotel full of Tinseltown nostalgia, guests whispering about Whitney Houston, and ballrooms that transform into conference centers.
Last week, I attended a corporate conference at the Beverly Hilton in this very same room where the Golden Globes took place. However, Quentin, Clooney, and cleavage were nowhere to be seen. And Seacrest asking ‘Who are you wearing?‘ was nowhere to be heard. So without further ado; here’s 5 style tips when the dress code is all business (aka ‘ultra conservative’)…
‘90210’ Flashback at the lovely Beverly Hilton. Up Next: My Top 5 Tips for Business Travel
1. Show Skin Very Sparingly ~ For the opening night reception, I wore a matching dress and jacket. With every fashion risk comes a trade off. For example, because I decided to go with this emerald green Anne Klein ensemble rather than a black or neutral suit, I kept my arms covered, jewerly to a minimin and a super-low heel.
2. Stay Conservative from Head to Heel ~ The last thing you want is to draw attention to your toes for all the wrong reasons in a pair of 5-inch spiked stilettos. I found these tortoise shell Franco Sarto2-inch heels that worked with my suits and this dress. (Sidenote~ I need your help! Whenever I travel I usually toss all my jewelry in this little box and it all gets tangled. Do you have a better idea or product to travel with accessories?)
3. Early Morning Make-up Secrets ~ I was in conferences all day starting at 7:30 am. To decrease the chance of looking extra sleepy, I added these fake lashes. With practice, they can be applied in 10 seconds to make eyes look more awake. I also carried my Tarte vitamin infused lip gloss and MAC Mineralize loose powder in my purse to freshen up after especially intense break-out sessions.
4. Fashion Mags to the Rescue ~ For Wifi withdrawals when you’re without Internet on your trip, I recommend packing a couple fashion mags. If you’ve considered subscribing by mail (12 issues for $12), Glamour is my fave! Wearable style tips, minimal ads and columns by fashion designers with enough content to last a 60 min flight.
5. You Don’t Need Hose ~ If you want to skip nylons or tights, but still want some coverage on your legs, I always pack along a travel container of my Vegas Potion (aka this Sally Hansen, Cocoa Butter & Shimmer.) Recipe HERE. Thanks for reading!
When is the last time you had to wear a suit? ~ xoDale