California Birdwatching ~ How to Pull off a Puffy Vest

SS Collage 112512 CountryLivinWinterWear COVER2

Turkeys, pheasants, ducks, peacocks or curvy brunettes? Whatever your preferred bird is during the holidays; there’s nothing like waking up in your hometown knowing the only fashion concerns are ‘What to Wear’ while you prep food, relax or take a hike outdoors during the day.

I’ve mentioned I grew up in a small Nor-Cal town called Ukiah. While four-wheeling, horseback riding and skeet shootin’ aren’t my every day routine up there, country style is another story. I styled my sister, Jody, for a day out ‘birdwatching’ and from the poofy vest to the poofy side bun, here’s her country lovin’ meets prep style below…

IMG 6307

Bird Watching Fashion 101~ Go with neutrals, denim, and a bright fun vest for your instant ‘J-Crew Meets a Cockatoo‘ style spotlight.

IMG 6322

Footwear for Faux Outdoor Activities ~ There are outdoor winter hikes where you’ll be knee-deep in mud. Conversely, there’s little flat trails off the side of the road that make you feel good about getting some fresh air and seriously low-impact cardio. For those faux trails, Converse, oxfords and flat boots will do the trick.

IMG 64274

The Scene ~ Two ducks taking an afternoon swim in a pond near Mendocino Jr. College. PS: In case you’re having a really awkward holiday dinner next month, here’s a lame little duck joke. Q. What do you call two ducks & a cow? A. Quackers & Milk

IMG 6317 1

ABC’s of Bird Watching Accessories ~ From layering over a V-neck to snapping outdoorsy Instagram classics, you’ll want to be warm. Bright puffy vests over a v-neck and chambray top are not only comfortable, it gives off the instant outdoorsy magazine model look. (Sidenote) ~Don’t wear super shiny earrings around flocks of birds, but do remember shades, binoculars and  sunscreen.

IMG 6314

<DETAILS by Dale> Chambray shirtvest (recent) Forever 21, oxfords~About Me (Nordstrom rack), Neutral Skinnies – LA (similar corduroy’s here)

When you go home for the holiday’s are you outdoors or is it too cold to venture outside? Cue the cozy fireplace… ~xoDale

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving break. I’ll be back later this week with my line of satin pillow cases Savvy Sleepers news…(PS: Cyber Monday deal going on now. Use code ‘Cyber Monday’ for 20% off total order today. Free US Shipping included)

11 comments on “California Birdwatching ~ How to Pull off a Puffy Vest
  1. Lola says:

It’s a perfect out and I love the plaited hairdo! xx

2. Kacie says:

I love your hair in this!

shygirlloudvoice.blogspot.com

3. Carly says:

You’re a styling genius! Love everything about this look from the braided hair to vintage binoculars. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend! x

4. Bravoerunway says:

I love how unsettled this puffy vest! I just bought one recently and look forward to wearing it as well!

5. Milna says:

Wow amazing photos!
    Just gorgeous!

>> milna89.blogspot.com <<

6. Elaine says:

Luvs these pics and obsessed with the braid look!

xx Lainey

7. Kim says:

dale you styled her perfectly! i love her pink vest and those shoes! they are awesome. fabulous photoshoot too girl.

8. Who knew there was a specific style for bird watching! Love it. Jody’s hair looks great–the braid is fab.

Congrats on Savvy Sleepers!

9. Rachel says:

I LOVE your hair, simply beautiful! I wish I could get my hair to look this pretty! Also, love the casual look!

10. Carrie says:

Birdwatching in style! I love how the outfit made the vest really subtle. I also love your hairstyle! It’s really pretty. :D

Carrie

11. Ashley says:

the most stylish bird watcher ever!

xo SideSmile,