Weekend Body Paint plus a PR Refresher for Bloggers & Brands

Girls Night Out! Summer staycations can be a perfect get-away to clear your mind without breaking the bank. Have you taken one in your city lately?

This weekend, my mom, aunt, sister and I drove 40 minutes south of San Francisco to Santana Row in San Jose for an Art~Charity~Denim event hosted by Lotus Premium Denim. Part of the proceeds went to Career Closet which is an organization helping to empower women re-entering the workforce and Lotus encouraged anyone attending to bring clothes to donate. I was excited to be part of the art show after collaborating with Lotus, but I was beyond impressed with the event and learned valuable PR lessons for every brand or blogger planning future events….

Dale+Steliga,+Savvy+Spice+fashion+blog,+Santana+Row,+Lotus+Premium+Denim
Everybody loves a ‘Red Carpet’ Moment! ~ As guests entered the event, there was a ‘Lotus Premium Denim’ back drop and a body painted mannequin (they have 2 named Serena & Blair) in their denim. A backdrop with your company logo is nothing new, but they’re not just for celebrity events and movie premieres anymore. They look professional and with facebook tags in full effect; backdrops are perfect for spreading the word about your company online. Post all the pics on your company FB page and watch people tag away increasing your event’s exposure! Bloggers can do this too. (me, my sister, my Aunt Jean & Mom)
The Venue
Choose Wisely ~ We stayed at the beautiful Valencia Hotel and the Lotus Event was just accross the street in the Lavare Apartment complex. Easy (free) parking, gorgeous location, and there was both an indoor and outdoor setting in the courtyard.
Santana Row ~ Is an outdoor shopping center with condos, restaurants, supreme shopping, and perfect summer weather so it’s easy to see why this location is ideal for a fashion/art event
Your Product Placement
Show, Tell & Try those Babies On ~ Lotus had champagne, cocktails, plus a changing room for anyone interested in trying on their denim. The launch of Lotus Premium Denim since last September landed the ladies at the GBK Celebrity Gift Lounge at the MTV Movie Awards this year. If you ever get a chance to have a celeb (even if it’s a D-Lister) take a pic with your product or you as a blogger, (as long as it fits with your brand) definitely tweet it, post it, frame it and display it at your future events. Big brands pay for celeb endorsements;  if you can get it for free, go for it. icon smile

The Guest List

Oh to Be a Muse ~ It’s always exciting to put a face to a blog I follow so I was really happy to meet Cheryl (in person) from the popular Bay Area fashion blog Oh to Be a Muse and her hubby at the event. Depending on your company and brand, if you’re hosting an event, it’s key to invite bloggers along with the public. Not only will they mention your event afterwards if they have a good time; they’ll often promote it early spreading the word via twitter, facebook & their blogs to your target audience if they’re attending.
(Blogger tip~ If you’re a blogger attending a fashion related event, let the organizers know ahead of time and you may be able to get a press pass or establish a good contact with them for future events. Also, if you blog about it, be sure to tweet them & tag the company on FB)
The Art
Combining Forces ~ Sandy Sanjurjo is one of the Lotus founders and an artist which is partly how the Art with Style event emerged with about 10 different paintings displayed just for the event with different women painted for each picture. Collaborating with different companies or your own business partners can create something special for an event. From singing, acting, art, fashion, public speaking; use your hidden talents to draw in guests with an entertainment factor without having to hire someone. Plus, more elements add more buzz & press coverage.
Stay True to Your Brand ~ Lotus Premium Denim was started by 6 young Silicon Valley business women specifically looking to empower women (hence donating to Career Closet & using lotus flowers and tropical colors in each painting) for this event. Their site explains ‘The story of a Lotus flower begins in the mud. It is a glimmer of beauty in a pool of murkiness.’ The body paint was also done tastefully. Playboy-esque body paint would have been bad for their image, plus my mom would have disowned me.
Special thanks to Elaine of Lotus for inviting me to partner with their denim company & be part of the event. Follow LotusPremiumDenim HERE or ‘Like’ them on Facebook HERE to learn about upcoming events
My sister Jody, Sandy Sanjurjo the Artist, & Me. Thanks for reading and I hope these tips help.
DETAILS by Dale (Inspired by Jessica Beil)
Savvy+Spice+fashion+blog,+Dale+Steliga,+Jessica+Beil+at+the+2012+Espys
Celebrity Outfit Inspiration ~ Jessica Beil at the Espys this month. There’s nothing wrong with copying a celeb look to an event especially when you know you won’t end up in a “Who Wore It Better” tabloid or get called out by Joan Rivers on E!’s Fashion Police. For the Lotus event Saturday, I was inspired by Jessica’s look but wanted to wear open toed heels becuase it was a warm night. I found this old white Forever 21 dress from ’08 and paired it with some Zara colorblock heels. (Very Recent on Clearance~HUGE summer Zara sale going on now)
Have you attended any summer events lately and if you have any PR or blogger tips of your own, feel free to share. icon smile
~xoDale
Special thanks to the team at The City Supply Co. for my blog’s design details lately.

55 comments on “Weekend Body Paint plus a PR Refresher for Bloggers & Brands
  1. Looks like fun was had. Sorry I did not hear about it… I live down the street and walk SR all the time. U look FABU!

• Dale Janeé says:

How fun you live right down the street from there, I’ll definitely always post any future events I hear going on there. Thanks for the nice words :)

2. Juli Photo Diary says:

Amazing! You look very pretty!!

Kisses,
    Juli

3. rooth says:

Aww, that white dress is super cute on you. Rock it girl!

4. GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle says:

I like your tip. Wow. You look super sexy with body paint. What a fun event.
    Beauty, Fashion and Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

5. Paulina Mo says:

I love the colorful shoes with the outfit Dale! and is that you in that body paint?? So cool!! Great tips, looks like such a great event… one thing I definitely learned is that business cards and a great outgoing personality go a long way in events… it’s so rewarding to meet people!
    ~Pau

• Dale Janeé says:

Yea, that’s a great point Paulina, business or blogger cards are so important to hand out at events and just meeting new people (and yea, that is me) :)

6. MyCrushCouture says:

I love your zara shoes! I know they were cut down at least 50 percent, and course they are sold out :( I couldn’t agree more with Paulina, definitely an event I would have loved to attend. :-)

Mycrushcouture.blogspot.com

• Dale Janeé says:

Thanks so much and you’re right they were 50% off I think but they barely had any sizes unfortunately. I had no idea Zara had such big sales.

7. the creation of beauty is art. says:

This looks like it was a really wonderful event! I’m glad you were able to attend and take part in it. Also, great tips. Thank you for sharing!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

8. sonia de macedo says:

Wow what an amazing event to be a part of. Loved scrolling through your beautiful imagery, text and tips; will definitely keep them in mind – especially the backdrop photo op!

Have a fantastic week Dale!
    SDMxx

9. Katie Frank says:

oh im so jealous, id also like to attend something like this :) lucky you!

visit my blog and enter giveaway. you can win ralph lauren shirt.

10. Lauren says:

Amazing! I am so jealous!!!!

Lauren,
    Fashionswirls.blogspot.com

11. Sourie says:

pretty! this is such an amazing event! thanks for sharing with us. I love the body art

xoxo, Sourie

12. Jay says:

Congrats! :D

13. Anna says:

I cannot believe the advice I just picked up from your well thought out and written post!! I so needed some extra little bits of advice when it came to PR (and loved the idea of the backdrop red carpet like photo idea for your own events with your company logo). Thank you for sharing your experience at the event and your advice along the way. I ADORE your outfit by the way.

Anna xo

• Dale Janeé says:

You’re welcome Anna, I’m glad it was helpful and I’m trying to learn new things every day. I feel like there is so much to keep on top of so I’m glad I could help a bit :)

14. Katie says:

how fun!! and I love your white dress!

15. Leslie says:

Gorgeous venue! The street looks perfect for a shopping day :)

What a wonderful cause.. love the denim and the painting (body paint) is neat! What a great keep-sake for you!

leslie

16. The Little Texan says:

This is such a great post, there are so many great ideas for bloggers going to different events as well as planning their own. Plus you look gorgeous in that white dress!!

• Dale Janeé says:

Thanks so much, I’ve realized it might be helpful since I”m sure a lot of events will be coming up with fashion week around the corner :)

17. Kim (A Very Sweet Blog) says:

Dale the Valencia Hotel is simply gorgeous! LOVE your white dress and your hair was exquisite. I’m so glad you got to meet Cheryl! I’ve been a reader of her blog for awhile and she is such a doll. Great pics of the event girl!

• Dale Janeé says:

Thank you Kim, I had just gotten some highlights & a trim the day before which helped with the hair :) And yes, if you’re in the SF area sometime, we’ll all have to do a blogger meet up, it was great seeing Cheryl

18. Glass to the Rim says:

love your look and looks like it was a really successful event!!

glasstotherim.blogspot.com

19. TheUrbanUmbrella says:

Looks like such a fun event! You look totally gorgeous, you hair looks beautiful and that dress is stunning on you! <3
    If you have a free moment I would so appreciate if you could check out my new post!

The Urban Umbrella

20. I like how you did this as a PR refresher. If only there was a way that I could have read this before the event because I totally forgot to do my red carpet moment. Clearly, I need to attend more events until I figure it out, lol. It was great getting to meet you and your family the other day! So wonderful to finally meet blogger friends in person. Awesome photos and I still can’t get enough of those shoes! <3

-Cheryl

• Dale Janeé says:

Aww, thanks Cheryl and it was great getting to know you too and meet your other half :) If I see those Zara heels anywhere in SF, I’ll let you know asap :) Hope to see you at more future events

• LOL, yea keep an eye out for those sandals! We should totally hang out again for an event or just a blogger meetup. :)

21. Emmy says:

Love your outfit for this event, and also that pic with Cheryl. Love her too:)

22. Bobbi says:

Looks like fun!
    And you look gorgeous as always! :)

23. pepeduk says:

let me tell you that the dress looks better on you

24. Anna G says:

I was going to ask where you got the dress but than I read it’s from Forever 21. It looks so cute on you. Also I love the picture with the body paint. It’s so pretty.

25. Anthea Lau says:

you look gorgeous in that white dress and i’ve got the same pair of zara heels too!
    would you like to follow each other?
    A

26. You look amazing in that white dress!! And, I love those Zara heels paird with it.
    -amy

27. DaFashionFreak says:

Amazing! Nice post. And you look gorgeous!

*hugs*
    -Maudleen

28. ZxM Fashion Addicts says:

amazing pictures!!!!!!!

29. Mia Dra says:

amazing photos!

Have a nice day :)

30. Courtney says:

have just stumbled across your blog! love all the posts! good work!

31. leonie fanning says:

Wow dale amazing post so informative thanks for such great tips. Amazing paint work dale beautiful and talented good for u. U are all so beautiful ur family dale good genes there. hope ur having a great week my gorgeous friend i was at madonna concert last night she was just amazing god love her it rained all through the show we had a great night despite the Irish weather kisses from Dublin xx leonie

32. Tiffany M* says:

Looks like you had an amazing time. That is a stunning photo of you in the jeans!
    Also, some really great tips for bloggers- thanks :)
    beijos,
    Tiffany

33. Diana says:

You look gorgeous!! I love the body paint and your dress!! Love Cheryl from Oh to be a Muse!

34. Chic 'n Cheap Living says:

You look lovely as always and it’s awesome that you got to hang out with Cheryl! The photo is stunning!

xoxo,
    Chic ‘n Cheap Living

35. Jeanae' says:

You looked absolutely amazing! Great tips again! Your very helpful!

36. These looks stood out because of their stark simplicity, and made for a refreshing change of pace from the constant colour PDAs.

37. Jaunita says:

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously
    this blog and I’m inspired! Very helpful information specially the remaining
    part :) I take care of such information much.
    I used to be seeking this particular information for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.