Red, white, blue and gold is all you need in your closet to pull together a classic nautical inspired look. You can pair stripes and solids, polka dots and chains, or create you’re own year round ‘4th of July’ ensemble. I have a few “Nautical Style Tips” I’ll share below. Please feel free to hop aboard and mention your own tips as well because this post is departing its port now… 😉
Red, White & You! 5 Tips to Achieve the Classic Nautical Look
/May 23, 2012
Did you ever notice that season after season, nautical stripes have true stylish staying power? Perhaps it’s because ‘sea’ is in the word ‘season,’ but as you already know, you don’t have to live by the bay to dress like a sailor.
1. From Alcatraz to Atlantic City ~ ‘Nautical’ is a trend that spans the country and the world. Some of my favorite staple pieces are striped tops that can be layered or worn alone. They can be big stripes, or small, horizontal or vertical. Try on different styles and see what are most flattering.
2. Everyone Can Wear Red ~ It’s a bold statement on my part, but I often hear women say “I can’t wear red, it’s not a good color for me.” Women can still try red details like lipstick, nail polish, bracelets, stripes or how about red pants? Bright denim is everywhere these days.
3. ‘I love Goooold!’~ After the Austin Powers overload this weekend, the truth is Goldmember was onto something. My favorite piece of jewelry is this gold Michael Kors watch, but you can also add gold chains, rings or bracelets to any nautical outfit.
‘Sittin’ by the Dock of the Bay’ ~ Because everyone needs a daily 15 min. break in the sun to take a deep breath and forget about your schedule, stress, etc. (Photo location near the Port of San Francisco)
4. Ch Ch Ch Changes ~ I’ve been popping my collar in dress shirts & chambray tops recently for a new look Also, don’t be afraid to layer necklaces with casual outfits. Lately, I’ve been wearing so much Stella & Dot jewelry (like this long Libby Layering Necklace) I decided to partner with them and join their stylists.
Details by Dale
Red & white tank ~ F21 (recent), red pants ~ H&M, pearl bundled necklace & shades~F21, wedges ~ GUESS, chambray top ~ MiH, watch ~ Michael Kors, Bracelet~ H&M, Nail polish ~ Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, purse ~Dimoti, Photo credit (Mr. Ryan Hu)
5. Part of the reason any nautical inspired outfit adds a level of simplicity is because you can re-wear clothes you already have like denim & layering striped tops! I wore these red pants in my “Peplum & Polka Dot” post and that chambray top a few weeks ago as the top for my “Canadian Tuxedo” post. Plus, I love that both men & women can get in on this trend and boat shoes are everywhere this spring. So, check out your wardrobe for stripes, denim and gold, then simply add a pair of red pants.
Do you love wearing red, white & blue or is “Nautical” just not your style?
(Sidenote) I know I could Google it, but what does this quote mean? ~”Red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky at morning, sailors warning.”
P.S. Thank you for all the support on my blog & I have a Summer Giveaway and special announcement coming soon…Also, Special thanks to the team at The City Supply Co. for helping with my blog’s design work recently.