Monochromatic Monday featuring my Sister as the ‘Lady in Red’

Would you wear the same color head to toe? With spring trends like colorblocking and neon in full bloom, sometimes it’s refreshingly fashion forward to keep it simple, solid & stylish. Fellow SF fashion blogger Atlantic-Pacific and celebs like Blake Lively have successfully tested the monochromatic trend here & here.

When I pulled this cherry Calvin Klein dress below out of my closet this weekend, I looked at it, glanced at my sister, Jody, and said “can you try this on?” It fit her perfectly, (much better on her than me), so I told her to “keep it” and had fun putting the look together with an abundance of bold red details. Like the Bangles rocking out to their 1986 smash hit, today it’s just another Manic Monochromatic Monday, so let’s roll…

Choose your Shade (colors over neutrals preferably) ~ Whether it’s pink, mint, or in this case red, you can wear the same shade all over. Mix patterns, textures or wear a top and pants in the exact same color. WhoWhatWear spotlighted the monochromatic trend a couple weeks ago here

‘Honey, I’m Home’~ I love this house in San Francisco. And there is something slightly Desperate Housewives meets a modern day Betty Draper about a solid knee-length dress with a ladylike silhouette.

Release Your Inner Jessica Rabbit! ~ These red pumps courtesy of Report Footwear scream sexy and now that super-high platforms are taking a break this spring & summer, this is the perfect patent leather classic heel. (Montauk Report Signature heel here)

(Style Sidenote) Your body isn’t a Fruit Salad ~ I wish articles offering women’s fashion tips didn’t compare female bodies to “pears” & “apples.” Finding the most flattering dress is all about enhancing what you have and creating or downplaying what you don’t. EXAMPLE ~ My sister doesn’t really have hips, so this dress had flared out pleats that mimicked natural curvier hips. In the future, if you must compare your body to produce, be a StarFruit. icon wink
BEHIND the SCENES
While we were out, we brought Wallace, the neighborhood pup and CEO of The City Supply Co.

(LOL) Only in SF ~ We had to laugh seeing these signs in the sidewalk planter boxes. I hate to bring this up, but due to the large homeless population in SF and the $250 fines plus public humiliation for pet owners not picking up their dog’s mess; this is one of the only US cities I’ve seen where you’ll pass by a pile of you-know-what and say to yourself without a doubt, “Ewww…that’s definitely human.”

Potrero Hill neighborhood in SF
DETAILS by Dale
Jody+Steliga,+Savvy+Spice+fashion+blog,+trends+and+style+tips+for+men+and+women,+street+style
Dress -kinda recent Calvin Klein (TJMaxx), watch ~ Michael Kors similar hereHeels~ Report Signature, handbag (recent)~Dimoni, necklaces ~ thrifted & F21, Eyelashes~ Ardell #45, lipstick – Wet-n-Wild ~ Spotlight Red
 If Monochromatic Monday inspired you to try the trend or you’ve already worn it, let me know. Would you wear an outfit in all one shade?
Special thanks to my sister for helping me out with this post and if you’re ever feeling the need for a pop of power in an outfit, wearing anything RED should do the trick! icon smile
Hope you had a great weekend!
xoDale
Follow us on Twitter HERE ~ Like SavvySpice on Facebook HERE

Comments

1. i love the head-toe red! great pics :)

2. Perpetuity says:

I think the head to toe shade looks great! Its a major stand out especially in red. BTW your sister is also gorgeous!

~Heather

3. beautiful dress

gaby-acentralamericangirl.blogspot.com

4. This comment has been removed by the author.

5. Great minds think a like, I just did a post on Red. I meant your sister looks amazing in this post:)

6. the outfit and pictures are amazing! xx

7. Anonymous says:

Great dog signs!

8. this is such a classy look

9. cute post, Dale! Love that dress- it is my favorite style.

10. thanks for reading my blog, thought i would check out yours and it is lovely!!! :)

xx Veronica

11. Rasonda @ Lake Cottage Dreams says:

I would have never thought that I would have liked head to toe same color but I love it. Your sis is rocking the monochromatic look, and I think that purse breaks it up perfectly.

PS- love the dog signs- HAHAHA!!!

12. Where are the men fashions?

13. MessyDirtyHair says:

Your sister looks beautiful!! As much as I am not a fan of matching shoes w ur outfit I am loving this look! It’s fabulous!

14. JustPatience says:

Wow, you sister looks striking in red. I love the whole shoot!

15. What Sadie Did says:

LOOOVE that dress, you sister has a killer figure. AND OMG that is so gross about the human poops!!! Argh! I’d die!! :)

Sadie xx

16. AmazinglyBe-AU-tiful says:

I love that dress alot and you look gorgeous! :)

xox,
    Isa

17. The shoes are just fabulous :) I love them

18. Like Mousse Au Chocolat says:

cute dress ~~

19. monochromatic, but still colorful. :)

20. I would def wear all one color. Red is classic, as is black. I love CK dresses, they hug the body in all the right places, and go well in the office. Great post. Where does the weekend go?

P.S. Great job on the pictures…I love the home you mentioned too…architecture at its best!

21. Beautiful photos! Red is a gorgeous color for her!

22. Great photos! Love the all read look! So bright and fun!

Giovanna

23. Ashley Aspinwall says:

I am loving monochromatic right now! and you look great in that dress ;)

xo SideSmile,
    Ashley

Don’t forget to enter my Rag and Bone Bag Contest ; ) http://sidesmilestyle.blogspot.com/2012/04/rag-bone-giveaway.html

24. CottonCandyINK says:

amazing red dress

25. Gracey at Fashion for Giants says:

Gorgeous. I’d definitely do monochromatic if it were something bold like this red.

26. Petite and Hungry says:
  27. I love this dress. It looks so good with other red pieces. I like the boldness but it’s so girly also.

28. Amazing look! I’ve never really worn head to toe same color, your post changed my mind :) xo akiko
    Style Imported

29. the creation of beauty is art. says:

That dress is GORGEOUS! I have one that is similar and I just love it!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

30. Yes your Monochromatic Monday has me thinking it looks so good I’ll have to give it a try, typically I would never wear the same color shoes as my outfit!

Your sister looks amazing in these photos! What a great score for her, getting one of your dresses!

31. 7eventh Letter says:

I LOVE Monochromatic looks! And RED is my FAVORITE color. She looks great. The accessories are paired perfectly.

7eventh Letter

32. WOW what an absolutely stunning outfit! Your sister looks lovely:)Xx

33. Wow! Love this look! That red dress is gorgeous!!
    Love your blog! Would you like to follow each other?
    Have a fabulous day!

xo Vivian
    Flightgirl Fashion

34. sonia de macedo says:

I love this red on red look it’s so classy and chic. That dress is seriously a show-stopper! Love, love, love!

Sonia

35. beautiful!

36. markedbeautyblog says:

You look absolutely fabulous! Red looks stunning on you!!

Sharleena xx
    marekdbeautyblog.blogspot.com

37. thanks so much for the comment <33
    these are amazing photos i love to see the whole city in the background! you look incredibly classy xx

Love,
    Nee
    ROSECANDLE11

38. Stylish By Nature says:
  39. Wooo!! Pretty!!!! I’m always obsessed by the red!!! Just as so shine!!!!
    If you are a chic fans, you can also go on a journey in here: ray bans

40. Second Hand Girl says:

you look amazing, red dress is very sexy! :)

41. So Pretty and Elegant!

FASHION CAT

42. deniz saatçioğlu says:

Your dress is so beautiful. You look stunning honey.

denizsaatcioglu.blogspot.com

43. Beautiful GIRL and Fashion says:

perfect skirt!!:)
    you look amazing!!:)

44. Two years ago I would’ve have never worn the same color in all of the outfit. But nowadays I think you can just as long as you use accesories that are a different color. Like how you did with your purse!
    - Gaby
    From Rags to Glam

45. I think the monochromatic look is stunning – not matter what color you choose. The RED definitely brings out the Jessica Rabbit!

leslie

46. Biser Sable says:

Amazing, amazing, amazing!<3 Love the shoes!<3

47. These pictures are stunning, vibrant and just as lively as your outfit! I love the color red… it’s such a statement screaming sort of color! Lovely! xo, Megs

48. That's My Mama says:

Your sis looks beautiful in this monochromatic look. Lol @ the no pooping sign :)

49. Wow, beautifuly put together.
    Mademoiselle Chanel was so right about strings of pearls making a woman look so chic.

50. Jayme and Mendi says:

Hey there!! Is there anything that your sister can’t wear? HAHA! She looks stunning in all red. Great styling! Those pics about pooping cracked me up!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

51. Amazing pictures! Love this lady look! Beautiful! :)

Check out my new post, you’ll love it!

52. Pretty Affair says:

yes, i would wear the same colour head to toe! not every colour though… your sis looks amazing! such a fabulous photoshoot! and the weather – just looks SO inviting :) xx

53. Francesca. says:

I generally find myself wearing an all-black outfit entirely by accident, but other than that, I’m not really into monochromatic outfits, although I’d love to give it a try!
    Absolutely loving the dress, fits your sister down to a t! xx

54. Clara Turbay says:

i adore your style today!

55. MarmeladenMädchen says:

great look! your sister looks amazing.
    and i really think, that it’s fashionable to only wear one colour. it looks really chic and classic to wear this red dress with a pair of red pumps

56. *Glam Chameleon* says:

Beautiful!!! She looks so pretty, ladylike, polished, chic!! Gorgeous ensemble!!<3
    Jelena

57. Aurelia (A Pretty Life) says:

Stunning look , dear! beautiful lady in red

58. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures says:

I couldn’t do it, but wow does she look AMAZING!

59. The Scent of Glamour says:

Such a beautiful dress!
    The photos are AMAZING, it’s like I am seeing a magazine! :)

If you want, check out my blog:

60. hautepinkpretty says:

Your sister looks amazing in the dress!! Such a gorgeous shade of red! Xox <3 hautepinkpretty.com

61. I love the all red look, it’s a def sign of confidence… power-red! Your sis looks fabulous as always and it’s always nice to see Wallace making a cameo!!
    ps. those signs are HILARIOUS!! It would be awesome to frame it and use it as humorous decor somewhere ;)
    ~Pau

62. Gaby de Modacapital says:

Beautiful dress! amazing look! ;)

63. Diva In Me says:

I love this dress and monochromatic trend on you! Red makes you look even fairer. Such contrasting color and you look great!
    I can only remember 1 outfit I posted which is monochromatic. I styled everything in Brown =D

64. Elsemiek says:

I love the photos! I wish that i could have that climate ! haha it seems very sunny!

The shoe is also very cute , I could defenitely buy a shoe like that

want to follow each other?
    love from
    elsemiek
    mystyleiseternal.blogspot.com

65. thank you for your sweet comment.
    I would love to follow each other. And I do now :)
    xx Nora

bitterblondblog.blogspot.com

66. Anonymous says:
  67. Tiffany says:

Absolutely fantastic dress. Red is by far the most feminine color to wear in a dress! Then of course comes black (for me at least :P )

68. Lola Finn says:

Oh wow! You look amazing! This dress is awesome! :)

69. WWOOOW!!THAT’S AMAZING!!THANKS FOR SHARING!

IF U WANT TO VISIT MY BLOG STREET CHIC http://chicstreetchoc.blogspot.com/
    U CAN ALSO FIND ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Chic/126609910754628