Jessica Simpson Naming her Daughter What?! 7 “Guy” Name Downsides

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry…!” I don’t know about you, but I watched Jerry Springer and that final thought every morning during summer vacations in Jr. High. It was during that time, as an insecure teenage girl, I started to notice a disturbing trend. Beyond the cheating and cousin stealing; it seemed that every week there were multiple unsavory male guests in their 30’s or 40’s with the name, “Dale.” By highschool, I was fed up with my Nascar guy name and decided to change it. I barged into the livingroom and told my parents I wanted a girly name. There were two options: 1. Change the spelling to “Dayle” which looked more feminine to me or 2. Change it altogether to something ending in ‘Y’.

As I stormed off, my mom chimed in, “Well Dale, your middle name Janeé is very feminine. It has an accent mark and it’s French,” she said.“Really?” I asked, unaware of the accent. We weren’t French, but that sounded kinda cool and fancy. A little more Waldorf’ Astoria and less Sam Walton; so I dropped the name change idea.

Fast forward a decade. I recently looked at my birth certificate after losing my passport and discovered the accent on the ‘e’ was drawn on with a Sharpie! They probably added it right after that highschool fight and while briefly annoyed, there could be worse family secrets. Now moving on to a very pregnant Jessica Simpson.

Jessica+Simpson+pregnant+ +baby+names,+picking+guys+names+for+women
Photo via Parentdish.co

From Jayden, Madison, Taylor, Jordan and Morgan; unisex names are popular. It was rumored last week that Jessica Simpson is going to name her new daughter, “Maxwell.” There was also a story this month on the Today Show about whether more parents are increasingly regretting their kids’ names. Often, it seems parents regret picking a name hard to pronounce, spell, or choosing a name so common that 5 other kids in their class have the same one.

Whether you’re having a child soon or picking a name for a baby girl in the future, here’s 7 drawbacks to having a predominantly male name:

1. I get mail every week titled “Mr. Dale…”
2. I have to require special notes on accounts that I’m a female (like cell phones, cable bills, etc.) so when I call in the customer service rep gives me access.
3. My identity was stolen in college by a 60-year-old man in Visalia, CA who collected disability checks for years using my name before anyone noticed
4. I get letters from the AARP and a membership application nearly every month
5. I constantly get accusatory or weird looks from sales associates thinking they caught me with a stolen credit card at stores. They look at my card and say “Your name is Dale? Can I please see your picture ID?” If I was a guy, I don’t even think they’d check.
6. I hear “that’s a guy name” or “I’ve never met a woman named Dale” multiple times a week
7. Since Dale Evans, (famous female country singer in the 40’s & 50’s) TV Shows & movies never have female characters named “Dale” and males with the name fit a certain mold. Please see below…

SavvySpiceCollage 0319122%5B1%5D
From left to right: Dale Earnhardt Jr., clip from the Jerry Springer Show, Chip ‘n’ Dale Rescue Rangers, Seth Rogan as “Dale Denton” in Pineapple Express and John C. Reily as “Dale” in Stepbrothers

Celebrities change their names all the time and give their newborns unheard of monikers while they’re at it. I’m a fan of unisex names and I’m fine with mine now, although I’m keeping that accent mark. If you’re going through something like this with your daughter or son, keep a Sharpie pen on hand because having a less common name can have upsides too.

I’ve met a lot of people who go by nicknames, their middle name, or changed it for various reasons at some point in their life so this seems to be more common than I thought.

Did you ever go through a stage when you didn’t like your name and did you change it or go by something new?
Hope you had a great St. Patty’s Day weekend! icon smile
xoDale

Comments

1. don’t love the name Maxwell for a girl. I do like Dale though. I went through a phase where I wanted to be named Jessica or Lauren-not Erin, but now I like my name.

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

2. MessyDirtyHair says:

I must confess I do like guys names for girls. Always wished I had one! I think you’re name is adorable but that is a lot of extra crap to go through!

xx Kelly

3. Kim (A Very Sweet Blog) says:

I understand Dale! I really like your name! But the reasons you listed are very true. Parents need to consider that. My grandmother had an OLD name (maude). I have a forever young name. People are always saying Kimmy, or Kimmy Wimmy, or Kimster! LOL I could go on! I’ll be forever 12. LOL Great post!!!

4. Courtney B says:

I used to hate my name when I was little! I mean elementary little… because I only knew boys named Courtney! In middle school I finally met a girl named Courtney and then I started to like my name :)
    Maxwell is a sad, sad name for a pretty little baby girl.

5. The Axness says:

Haha! So good. Good luck lil miss Maxwell.

6. CottonCandyINK says:

lol! im naming my daughter something very unique . at 1st it was going to to be a unisex name but i change my name last minute ;-)

7. sonia de macedo says:

OMG you poor thing, it sounds like you’ve had it pretty tough in the name dept, but I love the name Dale and think it suits you perfectly! It’s very unique but I can understand the annoyance! I used to hate my name back then – especially when I was 6 and my tennis couch nicknamed me “Sonia Dada” after some band or something and it stuck for ages LOOOOL, and if it helps I also know a girl name Dale too!

daringcoco.blogspot.com

8. Leeann @ Join the Gossip says:

I hated my name because it used to be pretty unique…until LeAnn Rymes got popular. Then I was made fun of and called LeAnn Rymes lol. Plus I spell mine differently so I could never ever get cool souvenirs with my name at places like Disneyland.

9. That's My Mama says:

Lol at the Sharpie :) I think your name is nice…It fits you.

10. Brandon Lostinidaho says:

You know, I totally thought you were a chipmunk when I first started reading your blog. I was pleasantly surprised to find out you are not.

As for Maxwell, I don’t like it. When I helped name my two boys, I took into consideration “the playground rule.” How can kids twist a name into a taunt or tease? Hard to do with John and Matthew (though Matt likes to go by “Matty” right now. He’s four, and hasn’t hit the playgrounds yet…)

11. I think Dale is such a lovely name. I love names that could be used for a girl or a boy. I only have issues with my name because it’s so common. I had a class with three girls name Anna. It was hard to deal with but I told the teacher to call me something else, instead of my last names.

12. the creation of beauty is art. says:

I think Dale is a beautiful name, but I can understand why it would be difficult! My name is pretty common – there were four other girls in my class with it!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

13. Brittany says:

I never hated being called Brittany, but I did hate that people misspelled it as Britney bc of Ms. Spears. I love your name though! :)

14. What Sadie Did says:

Ahhhh I feel your pain – not that I have a male-ish name, but because I have a name that a surprising amount of people don’t ‘get’! I too hated my name growing up because it wasn’t cool and you could never get one of those name souvenir things with Sadie on it – and both of my sisters could so I used to feel left out! I used to wish I could change my name but now I like that my name’s pretty uncommon (in women of my age!) – though I wish there were less dogs named Sadie too!
    I’m glad you didn’t change your name – it’s really cool :)

Sadie xx

15. Michelle says:

She would… I totally get where you are coming from, but from someone like me with such a normal name sometimes I think it would be fun to have a unique name!! That grass is always greener, right?! I think Dale is cute :)

16. Hahaha! Too funny! I love your name, but I totally feel ya. My middle name is very different, as I was named after my great grandmothers maiden name of “Hartley” I hated it when I was a kid and told my classmates that the “H” in my initials was for “Heather” I’m so over the weird name thing…especially with celebrities. I feel like everyone is just trying to outdo each other.

17. FleurLapin says:

I think your name is lovely! I used to hate my name growing up. I wanted a glamorous name when I used to be a child. I can see how having a different name can be frustrating though. Haha. I just started blogging again but through wordpress (hautgamer.wordpress.com). It has some fashion posts but it’s more focused on nerdy things. Thanks for asking :)

18. Maria- CityLaundry says:

i think Dale is lovely name, it’s so different!
    i wish my name was a but more unique! haha

19. i loved reading about your name story, dale! and honestly, it never entered my mind that dale is a guy name. ;)

p.s. i’ve always loved my real name, the only problem i have is how people constantly misspell it.

<3, Mimi
    Fashion To Figure Giveaway

20. i love jessica!! she’s so gorgeous!

21. i hated my name growing up. no one could pronounce my name correctly. my siblings and friends always called me Dee.

I think your name is great.

-Divina
    sheworethis.blogspot.com

22. Maxwell for a girl is just bizarre hahahahaaa. I love your name, I think it’s so cute! Your post totally made me laugh!!! Mr. Dale, lol! That must get super annoying. On the other hand, at least you don’t have a name that a bunch of other girls have! Being named Ashley in the 90s was no fun haha!

xo,
    Ashley

23. Blondie's Journal says:

My real name is Janet, but I dropped the T. Just never liked Janet until awhile ago but it’s a little late! lol!

XO,
    Jane

24. Run With Fashion says:

WOOOW @ your identity being stolen in college by A 60 YR OLD MAN! Whoaa..that’s creepy! O.o
    And Dale Janee is pretty together. :)

I’ve always loved my name, but I like people pronouncing it with an A, like the name Aliza, I got used to it when my teachers in elementary would pronounce my name like that. :D lol I think it’s prettier than pronouncing it with an E. :)

Thank you Dale for your aweosme comment on my how I would style floral pants illustration post! :D

-Eliza :)

25. I used to hate my name too, not because I thought it was particularly awful, but because 1) no one can ever spell it right, and 2) I’ve never met anyone else even remotely close to my age named Gayle. My mom had wanted to name me Isabella, but I am happy with my first name now. It looks and sounds so much better with my last name.

Dale is a lovely name and it sounds very pretty with your middle name. It’s very fashion bloggerish if that makes sense. :)

-Gayle (Pemberley Rose)

26. haha – great post! I love your name (it’s actually my Dad’s name) – and I absolutely love it for a girl… Jessica’s choice not so much (totally hear ya on the Jerry reference)

XO

27. Street Lily says:

Haha this is halarious… I love it. And really- I like dale for a girl. Honest :)

28. I definitely went through that phase and I didn’t even have a chic middle name to fall back on. However, I really do like your name and think it is very unique!

29. ChaosButterfly says:

LOL, I actually think you have a great name! It is unusual for a girl, but there’s something very cool about it. Like your parents were before their time or something. I love that they edited your passport too. Weird though that a random man stole it. o_o

My full first name is Chinazo (not even gonna talk about my middle or last name), and for most of my life, I have dreamed of changing it. People were always mangling it, and sometimes, I get yelled at because when I give my name, people think I’m giving them a made-up name. I have to take out photo id and prove that my name is actually real.
    I’m okay with it now though, and besides, I’m already too old to start answering to a new name.

Maxwell is a horrible name for a girl though. If they shorten it to Maxie, they may be able to get away with it for a while.

30. You bring up some great points here! Attempting to be different and come up with something unique, some parents might not think about the full impact of what is in a name. We chose to give more traditional names to our kids. Ones that would fit them in high school, their adult lives, and eventually a work environment. Great post! :)

31. Eloquent English says:

Aww man! You did create a great list of reasons why ‘not’ to name a child a majority rules boy name or girl name for that matter. I guess it’s a learning experience for some… Especially when one was raised with such an average name Jessica… Simpson… Very common. Maybe she’ll change her mind. xoxo A-

32. Vonae Deyshawn says:

Lol this post seriously made me laugh. I feel your pain all the way. With the first name Vonae, I get slack all the time. From people mispronouncing it, to misspelling it (I literally get tons of credit cards in my name spelled wrong. I stopped sending them back), to the comment “well that’s unusual” “Where’d that name come from?” Thanks all you insensitive people!

I think the thing that bothered me most was the fact that I could never go to Disney and find my name. So heartbreaking! After I got married, my last name became even worst! Now people look at my name and don’t know which they should try to butcher. Sheer tragedy.: ( (Oh and Deyshawn isn’t my last name. Hehe)

Vonae Deyshawn

33. Tiffani Sharice says:

My best friend’s middle name is Dale. I don’t think it sounds too manly at all. But I do know how you feel by having a name that’s a little hard to get used to. I used to have issues w/my name b/c a) I used to think people would assume I was ditzy and b) I never found anything w/my name already on it– You know that was the big thing growing up, having “things” (keychains, magnets, necklaces, etc) with your name on it. I could find a million “Tiffany” things, but never a “Tiffani” LOL In fact, I have a pic of myself covering up the “Y” in a “Tiffany & Co.” sign at a Mall in Atlanta, lol. I also used to change the spelling all the time, as well– so now my parents still get mail w/Tiffani spelled in ridiculous ways (i.e. Tiffahni, Tiffanee, Tiffanie….etc.) I like it now, but it took some time.

• I never thought of how the spelling could cause that much drama, and I think Tiffani is cute with the “i”. I could definitely see why that would be so frustrating trying to get al the little memorabilia with the names if it was always spelled wrong for your name. LOL about the Tiffany & co. story hehe

xo

34. Gawgus things... says:

Ha, ha! This is really funny! I’d never even thought of your name being unisex before – how strange! Believe me though, if you knew what my middle name was you’d be hugging and kissing your parents and thanking them for calling you Dale :)

Emma xx

35. While Maxwell isn’t the first name I’d give a girl, Jessica is using the name because it was her fiance’s grandmother’s name which I think is sweet. The street can run both ways too, my mom had a great-great-UNCLE named Beverly, her mom (my grandmother) ended up being named after him. I can see your reasoning though with some of your 7 reasons (although I get stuff from AARP all the time and I have an obvious female name and I’m under 30 so I wouldn’t read into that one too much). I think the thing with names is there seems to be names you hear all the time (Mike, Jennifer, etc.) and then there are the “weird”/uncommon names but there doesn’t seem to be any middle-of-the-road names (at least that I’m aware of but I don’t have kids either so I haven’t thought about it much).

• Yea, I read that Jessica was using that after her fiancé’s family name and they’d call her Maxi which is definitely more girly. And who knows if she’ll really name her that. :) Yea, I’ve been hearing more lately people under 30 getting AARP, so random. :) And you make a really good point that there doesn’t seem to be too many middle of the road names these days :) xo

36. i actually thought it was cute when girls had boy names….girl names that could be shortened to boy names, like alexandria/alexis (alex), samantha (sam), i had a friend charlissia, we called her charli. i went thru my own tomboyish phase, wanting to change my name to K.C., haha. my mom wasn’t to happy.

thanks for stopping by…returning the follow :)
    [oomph.]

37. The only Dale I know in person is female, so it never even occured to me that it is also a male name until you just pointed it out.

38. Wow, great post, I loved it and you show a lot of interesting aspects, thanks a lot! XD
    And Jessica is just trying to be original and cool… Or not! :P

39. Taylor Morgan says:

I am so sick of celebrities trying to be cool and naming their Kids horrible names!

xoxo,
    Taylor

taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com

40. i love this post Dale! I love your name! I think it’s cool! I’ve always loved my name, i think it just suits me! Hahaha!

Vanessa

41. Eleonora Manzi says:

Cute and very funny post!
    If you like, go to my blog ;)

Xoxo

Rouge and Chocolate Blog
    Rouge and Chocolate Facebook
    Rouge and Chocolate Twitter

42. Clara Turbay says:

I celebrate the good ideas i find here every time.

43. Audrey (hkittygirl) says:

Haha I thought the story of the man who used your name to get disability checks is funny, looking back at it and all. ^^

44. Andrea Dickherber says:

Thank you for your sweet comments and for following my blog. I was happy it led me to find your website because I’ve loved reading your ideas about fashion, etc, and I look forward to seeing your new posts now.
    This name post was a funny thought because when you commented on one of my posts I saw your name and automatically thought how cool it was. I’ve always wanted to have a boyish name (I’ve always wished someone would give me the nickname “Andi” but alas, no one ever has). The drawbacks are funny but I really do love your name! :)

Andrea
    Left brain, right brain, pug brain.

45. Frances Ortiz says:

This is funny!! Maxwell? Not cool

46. Eleonora Manzi says:

Thanks for your comment on my blog :) I follow you!

Xoxo

Rouge and Chocolate Blog
    Rouge and Chocolate Facebook
    Rouge and Chocolate Twitter

47. When I was younger I wanted my name to be Laura.
    I think some parents don’t stop and look further at certain consequences names could have. Specially now with all that bullying going around – you dont want your kid to be an easy target.

48. Fraanzi. ♥ says:

like your blog.
    it would be really great if you followed my photoblog!
    please take a look.
    many greetings.

Franzi.

49. Rachel Jensen {Da Paura ♥} says:

Wow, I always thought it was very cute to have a male name for a female, but I think I was pretty blind to the actual problems that could occur from it! I never thought about any of this – really must be difficult to have to always prove you are a female via the internet, forms, etc. I think the most ridiculous celebrity name was Apple! :)

xo
    Rachel

50. Missouris Lilac AJ says:

My name was a made up name… Yes thats right my mom actually made it up. Spelling and pronunciation are both unique. I use to HATE it, especially when I had role call in classes and the teachers would look confused around the class because they weren’t sure of how to pronounce it. Now I like it but still go by my initials just to make it easier.
    ~AJ

51. Y además sombreros says:

Yo uso el diminutivo de mi nombre, porque nadie me llamó nunca por el verdadero.
    Besos.

52. Inggrid Monalita says:

just find your blog andd waaww, so lucky i’m! This a really greaatt blog:<3 Love ur blog. Mind to follow each other? I make sure followed you, dear!

have a fab day darling! See you in my blog, yaa..!

53. Shawna Hynes says:

Love this post as I’ve always been interested in names! My mom always says “If I had my time back I would have named you ‘Shawn’ without the ‘a'”…. I’m personally grateful she did not. I dislike my name enough as it is, definitely could not have endured a male name which might have led me to being bullied more than I already was as a kid. I would love to change my name, but can only think how difficult it would be in terms of documentation & actually getting my friends & family to comply haha.

It’s really interesting to hear your personal story about the effect your name has had on you. It’s great that you’ve come to terms with it now, & I think your middle name is quite pretty! As for the name Maxwell, I absolutely love it for a boy, but can’t stand it for a girl!

<3 Shawna

54. Well I completely don’t really care for my middle name and no won’t say share it..LOL but in the Latin community parents tend to name their children after their parents/aunts/uncles/friends/etc!! and got stock with my grandma’s name!! (SIGH) oh well…this is such an awesome post as always.

Sorry doll haven’t visited you in a while but life got so hectic the last couple of months just getting back into my blog world now. Hope you’re doing well Dale. Take care.

<3 Marina
    Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

55. Alexis the Honey B says:

Dale!! This post cracked me up!!! I love your self deprecation!!! I agree that while it’s trendy now for girls to have boy names, our generation doesn’t pull it off as seamlessly. My name originally started as a masculine name too (although i cant think of one famous MAN named Alexis). I have a very feminine nickname though (Lexi). The name Ashley also started as a masculine name (Gone with the Wind). Dale is a LOVELY name for a woman!!!! :)

56. Anonymous says:

Hi Dale, my name is Dale too. I’ve met a few females called Dale and we share an instant comraderie when we meet! Whenever I receive a letter for “Mr Dale”, I throw it in the bin straight away. Obivously someone trying to sell me something. Or a phone call for a “Mr Dale”, I say there’s no one here by that name. The funniest time was when my name was called at the doctor’s surgery and I stood up and went over to the doctor who totally ignored me. She was looking for a male. She was a bit embarrassed but I could see the funny side. At least our name is short.

• Hi Dale! That is so funny because every example you wrote about I was thinking “Yep, Yep, that’s so true”…hehe. I definitely know what you mean when people in stores/dr, offices/anywhere either ignoring or assuming it’s a guy and then they always feel a bit embarrassed. Thanks so much for your comment & checking out my blog. Maybe “dale” will be a more popular women’s name in the future. You’re right, at least it’s a short easy name to spell. :)

57. You could definitely see your skills within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

58. First of all I would like to say awesome blog!
    I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if
    you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself
    and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I have had trouble clearing my mind in
    getting my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in
    writing however it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure
    out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Kudos!