I may live in the city, but I’m a country girl at heart. I miss the days running outside barefoot which I’d NEVER recommend on the sidewalks of San Francisco. They can be pretty filthy. Besides being a little bit country, I’m thrifty when it comes to certain trends. This summer, that trend is denim cut-off shorts.
Denim shorts are EVERYWHERE! There’s super cute cut-offs all over fashion blogs, in stores, magazines and celebs are loving them. But, I don’t want to pay $150 for a distressed designer pair of cut-offs. Part of the fun is making them, so I tried a few weeks ago.
First, I went to a thrift store and bought a pair of Levi’s for $6.99
Then I cut and washed them a few times so they’d fray at the end.
I love nautical stripes so I went with a simple navy and white H&M tank.
Vintage leather clutch from Crossroads Trading Co. ($9)
CREATING DENIM CUT-OFFS
My favorite part of this trend is you can take a pair of jeans in any color AND…
1. Cut them (it’s always best to be conservative at first, you can always go shorter)
2. Add holes and cuff them if you want
3. Shred & wash until they’re as distressed as you desire
4. You can even let the pockets hang out (but not butt cheeks) -That’s the ONLY rule
5. Wear them with flats, sandals, wedges, sneakers or boots
Hollywood in super tiny shorts to faded washes I haven’t seen since the 80’s
Do you like denim cut-offs this summer? If so, do you prefer to buy them new or create your own?