Bye Bye bebe

I remember cashing my first pay check after college thinking, “Wow, I can afford some cute clothes at Bebe now.” Oh, how times change. Nowadays I subscribe to Bebe’s emails just to get notified of their newest selection of cheap and tacky designs.

For example, I got this email a few days ago from Bebe. It’s a bold guide of “what to wear” the entire 4th of July Weekend.

Bebe 4th+of+July
I admit, the white dress is cute with a blazer for dinner and drinks.

But the black “dress” looks more like a tank the Real Housewives of OC would wear to Pilates. I’d never “hit the dance floor” with a rhinestone “Bebe” across my chest.

NEXT…

Bebe+dress grandmas+blanket

The Sunday dress looks like a throw blanket my grandma could sew. Stripes are great, BUT the “Downtown Fireworks” dress is all WRONG. Bad color combo, bad design, unflattering and it’s $79.

IN CONCLUSION…

BEBE+4th+of+July
                  Cute                   Isn’t this a shirt?                Ew                       Tacky

So why am I bagging on Bebe? Because 90% of the clothes I bought there in the past fell apart, lost buttons or had bad zippers that broke after the first few times I wore them. Plus, their designs are poor (for the most part) and their cute clothes are NOT worth the prices they charge. I said bye to Bebe years ago, but maybe you’ve had better luck shopping there.

Do you have any stores you liked in the past, but you’re just so OVER now? icon wink

Have a great 4th of July Weekend!
xoDale

Comments

1. Lost.in.Idaho says:

I used to always buy Lucky brand jeans, but after a while I noticed you don’t get what you pay for. $80 for a pair of jeans that wear and fall apart after less than a year? No thanks.

For slacks, I have always loved Haggar. Their black label slacks look good, lay right, and go with everything.

…almost ashamed to admit, but I went through a CK phase back in the late 90’s… don’t ask…

2. lol this post made me laugh! i agree!! have a great 4th Dale!!

3. r.alsharif says:

You were sooooo right about the dresses! The black one looks like a stretched out tank :P I never really liked Bebe’s dresses. I do however LOVE BCBG and Karen Millen, check them out I really think you’ll like them! :D

4. I’ve only found a handful of things I liked at BeBe and I think I only bought one thing of theirs.

5. marialε says:

Well, i don’t, but surely my taste has change.., that dress of Bebe.. i don’t like at all!
    My Fashion Bug

6. DSK Steph says:

Thanks for stopping by Dale! I hope you have a great 4th weekend! -Steph :D

7. A Daily Mishmash says:

Express. I still swear that there was a time in the late 90s/early 2000s when it was good (I still wear some of the dresses I got then) but then they got all business casual with their “design studio” stuff…

8. omg i used to LOVE bebe. it’s amazing how my view of that brand has changed SO drastically in just the past few years. i used to think it was expensive, but that the designs and quality matched. but i have to think that their overall look has changed since then because everything just seems expensive and really really ugly or cheapy looking.

is it just our perception or maybe HAVE really changed?!?!??!

9. yup, the white dress does it for me. :)

10. I agree..they are way too expensive and they can look tacky. I do like some of their clothes but I am not a bebe fan. Being a Merchandiser I think they are way overpriced.

Heel in Mint

11. I have only purchased shoes at Bebe and have had success so far (knock on wood lol) I completely agree with you on that tank top/dress? It looks silly lol. They are Definitely overpriced for their clothing.

12. FleurLapin says:

Abercrombie, American Eagle, Hollister etc. It used to be so in during high school. Now I look back and makes me cringe. Haha

13. Mrs. Julius says:

I would only buy dresses at the Bebe outlets….but i feel the same…some stuff are cute but most are really cheap looking. And yes, i would never wear anything with a logo across my chest…it’s sooo tacky. lol

xoyeanxo

14. audrey marie says:

i used to LOVE arden b. now i cant remember the last time i even walked into one of their stores!!

although i did dig up an old skirt from there that i currently love again.

15. I’ve never bought from Bebe although there were some times when I passed by their store and like a few things, but I don’t know I guess it’s not enough of my style. But I do like the white dress, I think it’s really cute.

16. Anonymous says:

Yeah, we all have things that we liked/loved in the past, but if its not the right fit for you, eventually you will realize its not worth the “price” that you spent. I am glad that you’ve gotten over “BEBE”! Have fun this weekend!

17. coutureaholic says:

I love this post! I went through a BEBE phase too while I was in college… don’t know what I was thinking. I’d like to add to that list… Arden B, and armani exchange haha.

18. an honest opinion – that’s what i love about this post.

if anyone from their team is reading this, then they should take heed and take actions to resolve these issues.

19. I would save the white dress, is cute!
    Monia, Rome

20. I like this post. I haven’t shopped at bebe but have never liked their stuff to begin with. I cannot think of a store I dislike now … but I have stopped shopping at Forever 21, H&M etc. simply ‘coz their stuff wld never last and then every second person is wearing it.

♡ from © tanvii.com

21. district5 says:

Orsay…but taste is changing. Today I would never go there ;)

Christine

22. So funny…and true! Hadn’t thought about it til reading this (awesomely honest) post! It’s no wonder I haven’t featured any bebe dresses on my blog! Yes, I have a LONG list of stores I wouldn’t step into any longer..mainly a quality issue. GREAT post!
    xo
    Sada

23. love the white dress!

24. This comment has been removed by the author.

25. Sorry-misspelled a word!

You are spot-on with Bebe-there quality seems to have gone wayyyyy down when they lost most of their client base, because people’s tastes had changed. Great post!

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

26. Krystal says:

this was such a funny post! i’m with ya, those are NOT good looks!!

27. FashionJazz says:

ReaLly good post and quite funny : ) I have never bought anything there and after ur post I certainly won’t : )

Hope u have a lovely wknd

28. i agree – i only like the white dress!

i do like bebes shoes, but i think they’re overpriced!

29. SewPetiteGal says:

LOL – great post! That black “dress” really just looks like a tank top. I used to be WAY into A&F :)

30. I love this post…OMG you’re so right what’s going on with their clothing lately …serious BEBE get your stuff together.

<3 Marina
    Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

31. Great post! I’ve heard of Bebe but never actually shopped there! I did get keychain from there once though!

32. TOPCOAT says:

I have never liked Bebe to be honest, and what you said about this post is so true – I agree! xx

33. I must say first and last dress are not so bad, but those in the middle are complete disaster just like you said.

34. Jillian says:

nice post! bebe never rly appealed to me though haha

fashioncyclist.blogspot.com/

35. lol yeah agree, the whole logo across the chest was big in 98 with tommy hilfiger back in my middle school but now.. not so much!! I think bebe is slowing turning into guess just with less prints!

36. haha i’m totally with you! i’m not a fan of bebe and never will be!!
    i have relatives that think bebe is like a major designer brand. . . oh jeez

37. Bebe has changed – and not for the better – you hit the nail ,on the head w/this post! (-:

38. Taylor K says:

haha I remember having an obsession with Bebe in middle school and the beginning of high school. I thought they were soo cool lol now I have gotten rid of all the clothing I have purchased from them with exception of a tank top i wear to work out in (which the rhinestones have started falling off years ago). Their designs are cheap and I will never purchase again from them!

39. Dirt On The Rocks says:

bebe dresses look good on the mannequin or in pictures, but once it’s been washed or used it seems to fall apart.

40. Too funny! You are right on! I have only bought a couple of dresses and the bandage skirts in the last year and only because they were on MEGA sale! Lately I’ve noticed their styling is super tacky! and the cute dresses that they do have and sell for $120+ are worn out, if you go to a party there is a 50% someone else is also wearing it! ha ha ha

they should hire some of us fashion bloggers to give them a lift ;)

~Pau

41. B.Inspired says:

This is how I am feeling about Bebe as well..I used to love this store when I was in my early 20s..now not so much! I feel the same with Cache too..it used to have really stunning evening wear, now I’m over it as well!

42. My taste has changed a lot and I think it will still change.

43. bebe is definitely one of them! they used to have such nice clothes, i don’t know why they’re so tacky now. :/

<3, Mimi

44. Gaby de Modacapital says:

I really like the stripes dress! Gorgeous!
    Kisses!

45. i’m a little embarrassed to say i used to be obsessed with abercrombie and hollister clothes. like whoaa, what was i thinking? cheaply made and the designs seem so hideous now. but i guess it’s a phase most american girls in the suburbs go through.

46. I totally agree w you, I love BEBE BEFORE! but I dont know what happen… sudenly it was like WTF? Half of the clothing are like nay and extremely expensive.

47. Esma ♥ says:

Thank you so much for your comment :) I am happy that you like my blog. Take care honey. Hugs n Kisses from Germany :)

My ♥ Passion

48. Francesca R says:

I was luckier than you then! I have a lot of stuff from Bebe and it is still ok! Sorry to hear what happened to you!!

49. Yeeeah I kind of agree with you about Bebe.
    xo
    Alexa

50. Oh my Dior! says:

omg! this dresses are so awesome! love the colors!

51. I agree. I never liked Bebe in the first place and their clothes are quite expensive!

xoxo, Bree

52. I love the little white dress! I used to really love Arden B dresses but since gaining weight after having my son, I have to bid Arden B goodbye! I haven’t walk inside their store for a while now! :)

Jessie

53. Pari Coleini says:

beautiful blog :)
    I’d be happy if you check out my blog and follow if you like. xx

54. Anonymous says:

I was wondering if they got new designers or something! In the past year the clothes are looking real cheap and tacky but the prices are still high. I had to bid farewell to Bebe as well but from time to time I stop by the website to see if the Bebe that I knew and LOVED returned…

55. Anonymous says:

I really liked Bebe from the late 90’s to early 2000’s. I have a faux persian lamb coat that I still wear that is almost 9 years old. I do agree that most of the clothes in the last 7 years look so cheap. I did have one item that looked beautiful a black and white Asian flower silk kimono dress/tunic but the zipper broke the second time i wore it. To pay $150 to wear something twice is crazy expensive.

I would rather pay $30 for a cheap item at Forever 21 than 4-5 times that at Bebe and for it to last about the same time.

• Yea I totally have to agree with you the quality and designs have really gone downhill. And it definitely makes more sense to pay $30 for F21 than 4-5 times more when they fall apart so fast :)

Thanks for your comment

56. Former Bebe Babe says:

I bought a beautiful, expensive silk blouse there and wore it like three times. I just noticed that the darts are starting to separate – it is literally coming apart. I am so disappointed. I also have what I thought was a cute white skirt from there in a classy length (not slutty short), started to come apart on me, actual threads coming out of it…and a smoking hot red dress I paid $150 for that is also a piece of garbage. Mind you, these things were the very best of what they had, not ugly patterns – one color, super pretty things to start with. Shame on you Bebe!!!

57. Danielle says:

Its not just you…I think bebe has undergone new management in the past several years, as the cloths are not as well made and the designs are a little more on the tacky side…

58. Danielle says:

59. I disagree. I think Bebe had their day of logos just like any other major name brand in the early 2000’s… however, this blog completely unrepresentative of Bebe now. Their style is genuinely competitive, sexy, and most times classy/put together. These photos are dated and not stylish. Not every outfit of Bebe is spot on, but they are one of the few that have grown, adapted, and thrived in competition. Not for everyone, but those that can pull it off it outshines many women in a variety of fields including professionals and club scene.